- This event has passed.
Cavalcade of Lights – November 24th
November 24, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
On Saturday, November 24 at 6 p.m., Cavalcade of Lights, presented by Great Gulf, will mark the official start of the holiday season in Toronto. The event features the first lighting of Toronto’s 60-foot (18-metre) Christmas tree, along with musical performances, circus arts, a skating party and a spectacular fireworks display.
“Cavalcade of Lights is a 52-year Toronto tradition that brings families together to celebrate the start of the holiday season,” said Mayor John Tory. “This spectacular event includes a great lineup of performances, dazzling fireworks and the lighting of Toronto’s official Christmas tree. I invite everyone to come and join the festivities.”
“Great Gulf is absolutely delighted to return as the presenting sponsor of this incredible Toronto tradition,” said Madeline Zito, Vice President of Public Relations, Great Gulf. “The 52nd annual Cavalcade of Lights provides a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate our appreciation of the communities we serve and it’s a great way to kick off the holiday season with a celebration of goodwill.”
This holiday tradition illuminates Nathan Phillips Square under the twinkle of more than 525,000 energy-efficient lights and 500 ornaments provided by Toronto Hydro.
This year’s event lineup will feature:
- Skating Party with DJ Sean Sax, sponsored by Tim Hortons, 6 p.m. – Spinning hip hop and funk classics, this veteran DJ has been a prominent fixture in Toronto’s music scene for more than 25 years.
- Tanika Charles, 6:50 p.m. – A Polaris Music Prize and 2017 Juno R&B/Soul Recording of the Year-nominee, Charles is a staple in the Canadian soul scene.
- Tami Neilson, 7:40 p.m. – Known for her powerhouse vocals and soulful voice, Neilson’s music is straight from the golden age of country and rockabilly.
- Illuminair, 8:25 p.m. – Toronto’s acclaimed circus performance troupe is known for its breathtaking shows using fire and light.
- Concert featuring Kobo Town, sponsored by Great Gulf, 8:40 p.m. – Toronto favourites and 2018 Juno Award World Music Album of the Year winners are known for their distinct calypso-inspired sound mixed with dancehall reggae and trombone-heavy brass.
- Skating Party with DJ Dre Ngozi, sponsored by Tim Hortons, 9:40 p.m. – Dre Ngozi’s work is fueled by a mash-up of sounds, a true reflection of her nomadic spirit.
The complete event schedule is available at http://www.toronto.ca/cavalcade.
Cavalcade of Lights is committed to creating an accessible event. Accessible viewing areas and an ASL interpreter will be onsite for all to enjoy this special evening.