November 6, 2019
The City of Toronto is inviting all members of the Danforth community to the first in a series of meetings about the upcoming Danforth Avenue Complete Street and Planning Study.
Date: Thursday, November 7
Time: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Location: Monarch Park Collegiate Institute, 1 Hanson St. (cafeteria)
The public open house will include a brief presentation about the study followed by interactive group discussion. Feedback from the community will help shape the scope of the study. You can download that presentation by clicking here.
The full study area will span a six-kilometre stretch of Danforth Avenue, between Broadview and Victoria Park Avenues. Within that stretch, three types of studies will be undertaken including:
- Complete street study (Broadview Avenue to Victoria Park Avenue) to examine the roadway width and review options for a complete street design and the potential for on-street protected bike lanes to improve road safety.
- Economic and retail study (Broadview Avenue to Victoria Park Avenue) to provide an understanding of the area’s economic environment and issues faced by retailers along Danforth Avenue to support and promote economic vitality.
- Planning study (Broadview Avenue to Coxwell Avenue) to identify future city-building opportunities, guide new development, and enhance the public realm and quality of place.
More information about the Danforth Avenue Complete Street and Planning Study is available at http://www.toronto.ca/danforthstudy.
More information about Complete Streets in Toronto is available at http://www.toronto.ca/completestreets.
“The Danforth is an important and bustling corridor that maintains the feeling and character of Toronto’s much smaller neighbourhoods, while being recognized as one of our city’s biggest and most diverse communities. I’m confident the Danforth Study will proceed in a way that resonates with the community and preserves and enhances the best parts of the study area.”
– Mayor John Tory
“This is the start of a big community conversation about one of Toronto’s most beloved streets – the Danforth. On Thursday, our community will begin the discussion on how to make the Danforth a much safer street and a more beautiful street, with well planned development and vibrant retail.”
– Councillor Paula Fletcher (Ward 14 Toronto-Danforth)
“The Danforth Study comes at an exciting moment for the East End. With the Danforth corridor growing before our eyes, this study is the opportunity we need to shape our community’s future. It’s a first-of-its kind process bringing together three City divisions to tackle the big policy areas, questions of land-use, transportation, and economic development. Together, with the community, we’re going to build a forward-looking vision for road safety, strong local retail, and transit-oriented development right along the Danforth. The community made the Danforth we know and love, and it’s the community’s voice we need to make this project a success. Believe in the east, come out and help shape Danforth for the next generation!”
– Councillor Brad Bradford (Ward 19 Beaches East York)